Monday, November 14, 2011

This Boy Can EAT!

If you know EK at all, you know she could easily win World's Pickiest Eater.  All the mom-bloggers that post about how picky their child is....be encouraged that your child is in much better shape than mine!! No joke.

I know that while some of it is definitely learned, I feel that the majority of pickiness is just something children are born with.  I firmly believe that.

For 5 years, we had 2 children.  Foodwise, we did everything exactly the same with them.  One of them would eat anything you put in front of him, while the other ate nothing you put in front of her.  This was apparent very early on.  People have asked me many times if Ella Kate ate baby food well.  Truthfully, I don't remember.  I don't know if her pickiness began with table food, or if it was just always the case.  That is the price you pay for having 2 so close together! :)

Still, I was determined when Tanner began eating food, that I would do everything in my power to help him eat better.  I wasn't sure how much it would help, but I was going to try.

At about 5 months, we tried rice cereal with Tanner.  He hated it.  We kept at it, but it was always a battle.  I was fearing the worst.  At 6 months, we started baby food.  He didn't love it, but we could get some of it in him.  He loved bananas the most, and after a month or two, he was pretty willing to eat any fruits.  He would eat vegetables when mixed with fruits and rice cereal when it was prepackaged with other fruits.  He still would not eat it mixed at home with water and he gagged on any canned meats...who wouldn't?!

HOWEVER....he started very quickly trying to eat off of our plates.  Somewhere during his 7th month, we started letting him gum things.  (He only has 2 teeth on bottom.)  He LOVED table food!!  I think the first time we realized that he really preferred it, was when we were at Firehouse Subs.  Ella Kate never eats her sub :) so we started giving him bits of the bread.  Yum.  Then we gave him a taste of the cheese. Success.  Then we ventured to the turkey.  He ate every bit of the turkey on a kids sub!  With two teeth no less.

He is now almost 10 months old and eats everything we eat.  His recent dinner menus have included spaghetti, roast, mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans, tacos, mushrooms, pickles....the list goes on.

We pray he continues being so accepting of food (I realize toddlers go through picky stages and sometimes refuse foods permanently) but we will enjoy this while it lasts!

I don't feel like Tanner's eating habits are a result of anything we did.  I feel like he was just born a good eater (for now at least!).  I think you could offer those same foods to some babies and they would come out as soon as they went in.

I think it is the luck of the draw and we hit 2 out of 3.....I'll take it!

No comments: