Friday, May 06, 2011

Spring Picnic

The kids had their Spring Picnic today. 

Before the picnic, Ella Kate's teachers always have their "Student Led Conferences" which means Michael and I go in and she takes us through her writing journal for the year.  It is amazing to see the progress through her first year of school.  At the beginning of school, an example of her "story" would be a picture of a stick person and "aghoiehiwong".  (translated:  I wear a Cinderella dress)  That is no exaggeration.  Her most recent ones are very detailed pictures with actual sentences...correctly spelled might I add!  A tribute to excellent teachers! 

I was tickled to see my name in her book a few times even.  My two favorites read "My mom had my baby brother on her birthday." and "I went to church to learn about God.  God loves everyone."  :)  I remember when Jake was in 4K and had a journal.  Almost every page was about his daddy and not a single one about mama. :)  I don't think he'll ever be accused of being a mama's boy!!

After the conference we all go to lunch with our kiddos.  It really is a big deal.  I didn't know that last year when Jake was in 5K.  Just about every parent comes - moms and dads!!  I know it's hard for working parents to get off of work in the middle of the day, so I feel very blessed that Michael and I both were able to be there today. 

 These sweet boys from Jake's class joined us :)
 As well as these!


 After they ate, the dads were summoned to the ballfield where the boys (and a few girls) play each day after lunch.  Jake has begged Michael to come at recess time and play kickball all year!! 
 Dads vs Sons

After the picnic the kids usually come home with mom and dad.  We picked up their Mother's Day gifts before we left.  This one in particular made me smile.

Doesn't look like much....I know.  It was one of Jake's gifts (water bottle with a lemonade pack) but the big "G" on the front, that is for Gamecocks.  Jake hates the Gamecocks but he knows I like them.  It was a big thing for him to choose to draw something his mom liked instead of him. For Jake, that is a big show of love. :) (Note he did put a tiny tiger paw at the top, just to remind me that he was still a Clemson Tiger)  I will take what I can get.  :)

No comments: