Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Going Green

In 4K this past year, Jake's class spent some time learning about recycling. Prior to that, Jake had probably never heard of recycling. Jake came home every day during that time talking about recycling and begging me to let him start doing it.

I was reluctant, mostly because it was just one more thing to add to my list!

Once summer came and we were home a little more, Jake started going through the trash cans and telling me what things we could recycle. Rather than allow him to continue as a dumpster diver, I gave in and helped him start sorting things and teaching him which things to put aside.

By the time I got to the store to buy a container for our recyclables, our laundry room floor was full!! A friend mentioned that when her husband started their family recycling, it dramatically cut down on their trash. She was right!! We have much less trash now!

One question I do have....where can I take styrofoam to be recycled? The cups you get at McDonalds and other fast food restaurants have the emblem on the bottom, but our "dump" doesn't take them. Anybody know?? And which stores still have a place to put plastic grocery bags?

I have only made one trip to take our "recyclables" and I already am a HUGE supporter!! What was I thinking?!? By recycling, I am being a much better steward of the Earth that God gave us! And it took a 5 year old and his very smart teacher to help me to see that. :)





9 comments:

Stacy said...

Ms.Leigh is one smart teacher:)

Now the Cotheran's need to start:)

Tracy said...

Too funny! THe boys got us started last year too! Now we have recycling at the gym too. Isn't it funny what we can learn from our kids?
You are beeter than me though, I don't let them get out at the recycling center.
Can Michael still take them to the dump?.....

Sophie Morand said...

Good job Jake, you need to talk about it with all your friends and their parents!! I am so proud of you!!

Jennifer said...

Way to go Jake, I need to get him to come over and get us all "green"... you know everytime I go to the dump I feel bad cause of all the stuff I throw away that could have been recycle... I will have to look into that... I love learning from the kids...

Ashley said...

Ingles and Harris Teeter have bins to recycle plastic grocery bags.

Leigh said...

Oh, WOW!!! Anything I can do to help!

I think EVERY ONE of my kids from last year is making their families recycle now.

And, don't worry. I didn't do it either for years. Billy has always done it and finally convinced me to give it a try. It makes you feel so good when you do little things to save the Earth!

I'm going to try to convert the ELC to recycling next year if the city or county will pick up?!? I'm looking into it!

Thanks for posting this! It makes this teacher proud!!

Tracy said...

THis is how you can get the ELC to go green. Get Ashton and Kevin to call Coke and get a drink machine out in the CLC. COke will bring you the recycling containers (you provide the bags) and then will pick up the recycling from a designated spot when they come to fill the machine every week.
Easy enough huh?

Summer Martin said...

I am so proud of you. I was reluctant at first when Jamie started it but it didn't take long when I saw the decrease in weekly trash for me to appreciate his efforts. The ELC should really look into the coke recycling thing. It would fix your issue of no DrPepper the other morning:)

Kelly said...

Ok I'm not gonna lie, I didn't even read the entire post, but Rodney (Rhonda and my Dad) is on the recycling kick. I'm sorry but I am 30 years old, and now I have to figure out which of our 4 trash cans something goes in? I just put it somewhere and listen to him complain, but thanks to everyone doing the right thing, feel free to sacrifice me first when you have no options left :D