Friday, February 20, 2009

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is not usually a huge event in our house. We do the typical class parties and gifts but it's more of a "family" holiday than a "couple" one. This is mostly due to the fact that our anniversary is exactly one week before Valentine's Day (Feb 7 - more to come on that later!). It's not often that we have a night out by ourselves and 2 weekends in a row would be unheard of! ;) Add to that the fact that everyone on the planet tries to eat out that night and we wouldn't want to be caught dead in that mess!! We love to eat out, just not after waiting 3 hours to do so!! We pretty much stick to our anniversary for a February celebration - but it's okay with us!

This year the kids each had Valentine's parties at school and enjoyed exchanging Valentines with their friends. I have to stop and brag on my husband here. Thursday night, I was getting pretty frustrated as I tried to help the kids get their Valentines ready for school the next day, decorate their Valentine "mailboxes" and make treats for their party. Without thinking that he really would, I told Michael that I really, really needed some help with this - I needed him to make rice krispie treats!!! And he did it!
I was so proud of him for making these....

These were the final products....rice krispie kisses from each of the kids!

I think he got embarrassed when I told everyone at school that he made them, but I was so glad that he did that for me!

The kids loved their parties.....

I like to call this the "Kain Cotheran". ;) There was no picture taking in Jake's party!!


Friday night the we treated us and the kids to dinner at Caro-Mi. If you haven't been there, you're missing a treat!! It's family style, country style cooking and it's soooo good!! It's up in Saluda, NC (right past Tryon) and the kids loved the ride through the mountains. There is a river that runs right in front of the restaurant and you have to walk over a bridge to get there. The kids love that part!

We came home to open Valentine's Day gifts!! We did them the night before because the next day was going to be so busy!

Ella Kate got some Barbie clothes and a Hannah Montana phone (that Santa couldn't find at Christmas). Jake got some Bakugan and Pixos.
Lots of candy, lots of gifts, lots of love...very good Valentines 2008. :)

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Hey- you were supposed to tell me the next time you went to that place! Ouch- the avoidence really hurts!

Jennifer said...

We like to go and try different places give me details if you don't mind...

Summer Martin said...

Sounds like fun!!

Erin said...

Yum! The Caro Mi is my most favorite restaurant! We go there quite often!

Stacy said...

Well glad to know my son is not the only one that blocks the pictures..lol. Tracy's right you were suppose to let everyone know when you were going to eat there!

I will have to get directions though...lol.

jkstrib said...

We LOVE Caro-mi! It is a tradition with our family too!