Monday, January 05, 2009

Say Goodbye to Cheap Clothes!

Thanks to Kim, I learned today that consignment sales for children's clothing/items will be illegal as of February 10. I know, I know!! Outrage!! It is a new law congress has created to try to prevent the spread of children's items containing lead. I personally think this is taking it a little too far. I mean, the chances of my kids getting lead poisoning from their clothing is pretty small. Don't ya think? Has anyone ever HEARD of that happening? Toys may be up for discussion, but clothing?!

Here is the article on it that she read. And here is the actual copy of the law (not that I comprehend this language!). And it's not just SC, it's all states!

It's bad news for all consignment stores, Goodwill, and all homebased children's clothing, toy, and hairbow businesses. And now is when we need those savings!! There is still a chance they will amend it before February 10, but it's only a chance.

I'd love to hear if any of you have heard of this law and if you have a different interpretation of it. Perhaps some sales will go on, since it may be hard to enforce. I'd just hate to participate in illegal activities!

Perhaps it will be enforced as strictly as the law that says, "Every adult male must bring a rifle to church on Sunday in order to ward off Indian attacks." Oops, broke that one Sunday. :) Go here to read more of these silly laws!

6 comments:

Stacy said...

I know I read this on another blog.I have never heard of someone getting "sick" from used clothes!!! This is the only way a lot of people shop. I pray it doesn't pass!

Ashley McWhorter said...

What???? You have got to be kidding me!

April said...

Rhonda, I'm not technically savvy like you. You will have to show me how!! Thanks for posting my birthday. I feel so special!!

Jennifer said...

ok, wait a min... they are going to close down all the kids consigment shops and we want get to do that anymore... That is totally dumb... Just when I was ready to start doing it (well I shop already but I am just now getting stuff prepare to sell).. Pray it doesn't pass...

Jennifer said...

ok, wait a min... they are going to close down all the kids consigment shops and we want get to do that anymore... That is totally dumb... Just when I was ready to start doing it (well I shop already but I am just now getting stuff prepare to sell).. Pray it doesn't pass...

snookmama said...

What? Okay, either I am going to have to re-do our budget or my kids are going to have to stop growing. What a bad idea!