Monday, November 10, 2008

Florida State

My dear husband is not like most men. He doesn't pull for a local college football team - one that you can go watch on a regular basis.

Nooooo.....my dear husband LOVES Florida State. LOVES them! I personally find it hard to pull for a team that is so far away. I prefer to stay closer to home - like Columbia!!! But Michael doesn't seem to mind that they are 2 states away.

So, if he doesn't mind, then....so be it. We made our yearly trek to Florida for the Florida State vs. Clemson game this weekend. It turned out to be a really good game!!

My entire family loves their Clemson Tigers - everyone from Big Papa on down. So, each year we go with my parents and siblings to the Clemson/Fla State game. Everyone enjoys the good-natured rivalry!

Two years ago, myself, Michael, my dad and brother went down to Florida with some of Michael's work friends. We left the kids at home with my mom. Last year, we took Jake with us to Clemson for the game and Ella stayed the day at a friend's. THIS year, we were really brave. We took both kids with us to Florida.

I have to say that my kids were GREAT!!! They rode like pros (with 8 straight hours of videos) and took in 4 hours of football like they did it all the time!! I was soooo relieved! We were very fortunate to have seats that accomodated us perfectly - we had a wall behind us, a completely empty row in front of us, and aisle seats. They had plenty of room to move around so they weren't too bored. Thank you, thank you to whomever skipped the game in Row 84!!! ;)

Before the game, at the baseball stadium, we found the Florida State band gathering. I'm not sure if they do this every game, or if this was a special day, but each instrument group would take turns playing a special "tune" for a group of people gathered in the baseball stands. We sat in the bleachers and watched them, up close and personal for a while. Jake loves the instruments so he enjoyed it.

It sure was a hot day and once we got into the stadium, it got even hotter!! We were, unfortunately, on the side of the stadium without the shade. HOT! We had worn jeans with short sleeves but were wishing we had our shorts and tank tops on! Once the sun went down (2 hours after kickoff :) it got better.)

Jake had a great time, but couldn't seem to make up his mind about which team his loyalties were with. He started out in a Fla State jersey, only to soon change into his Clemson one. After the first half when Fla State started to pull farther ahead, he decided he would change back into his original choice, since they were winning now! He has a hard choice - his dad loves Florida State but his pop and Bobby love Clemson. What to do?!

Ella Kate, while she was very good during the game, was totally uninterested in the game. Good thing we took a bag loaded with entertainment and LOTS of goldfish!

It was great to spend time with my family this weekend!! And even greater for Michael that his team finally came out on top!!







Ella Kate does NOT like the idea of that big, banging drum you see in the background!





Michael has been talking about this horse, Indian, and spear for weeks!

Doing the chop with his Clemson jersey on...
Trying to find the shade...


I had a hairdo before it sweated right off my head! :)


15 comments:

Jennifer said...

Looks like y'all had a great time... I love the FL state shirt and the tiger paw on the face..lol

Ashley McWhorter said...

You are one brave momma1 Way to go. Looks like y'all had a blast! I love the picture of your little girl "trying to find some shade". :)

Stacy said...

So you took Ella after all. Looks like everyone had a great time! I bet yall were hot though!

Erin said...

Okay, those pictures had me rolling! I LOVE Jake in the FSU jersery and the Clemson paw on his face! That is hilarious!

That looks like a really fun trip! (Even if FSU did win! ;) )

Summer Laney said...

I am so glad that everything went smoothly! I have to admit I had some doubts. Glad you guys had such a great time!!! :)

Summer Martin said...

I am glad that you had a great time. On Saturday Jamie and I were talking about how much fun we bet you were having with Ella:) I missed being able to have her spend the night, better hope she doesn't find out!!

Autumn said...

I can so relate! We also have a "mixed" marriage!! :) Dan is the BIGGEST FL State fan ever (ok, maybe Michael is). Then there's me... a Clemson girl by genetics and choice! Looks like fun! I'd never be brave enough to venture into 'nole territory, myself! (Elijah, by the way, has become a neutral AL fan... "since he was born there!" he says)

LifeAtTheCircus.com said...

Looks like a Ton.Of.Fun!!
We are crazy about football here too and know how hard it is to route not for the home town team! Glad you had a great weekend!

snookmama said...

I am impressed. Daniel really wants to take everyone to an Auburn game. My response is always "Go ahead. Just don't make us come!"
The reason Jake loves bands is that you are raising him right--the FSU band is amazing.
Ella, if Daniel would let me sleep under the bleachers I might go too!

Keaston said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Misty said...

Opps! I posted this comment and didn't realize that I was still signed in under my sons Google EMAIL! HAHA! I deleted and re-done it under mine :) Yep true blonde!


Im having such a bad evening until...I checked out your blog. Just listening to your music and seeing sweet Ella's face put a smile on mine!

Tracey said...

Yeah I know, I finally caved in and started a blog. :) And Asheton is WAY more neater than I am (slightly OCD haha). But it's nice cause he helps me keep the house clean. :)

Danielle&Hannah said...

love your blog! (love the songs - empty me - never heard it before)

Tracy said...

Here's your comment! Will you please update your blog!?!?!

Jennifer said...

Where did you get your layout from?