Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dorman vs Byrnes

Friday night Ella Kate and I finally joined Michael and Jake at a football game. He had asked me all year to come but we really have enjoyed our girl time on Fridays! We shop for hours and she loves it! Jake and Michael aren't that into hours of shopping! But they are into hours of football. Rain or shine, these two are at those high school Friday nights.

And they really are never at a loss for good games....we jokingly say our allegiance is split 3 ways. We both graduated from Woodruff, we now live in the Byrnes district, but Michael's best friend (do guys say that???) is the AD at Dorman. I think in the end his love for Woodruff wins out (did you know they are conference champs this year?!).

Jake tickles me the way he gets into the game. He yells the whole time - sometimes he knows what he's yelling about...sometimes he doesn't. And he comes home and describes in great detail what went on at the game...who he saw (you know mom, that girl you know with brown hair who has a kid...oh yeah, that one?!?), who made what plays, who was hurt and how, the winner....all from the mind of a 5 year old. It's entertaining to say the least.

So, this Friday....we decided to come with the boys since this was a big game, or possibly THE biggest game. We really did end up having a good time! Uncle Gary came with Michael so that was a big treat as well! The kids ran and played while the ladies chatted and the men watched the game. Just the way it should be! ;)




Jake loved the football....Ella Kate loved that mommy let her put on all the lip gloss she wanted as long as she was quiet!

The Harrell girls! :)



We see you hiding Uncle Gary... ;)

In the end, Dorman won the game, which was probably pretty unexpected for most people there. I think it's been at least 7 years since they won. They were pretty excited!




Okay, I have to say a little about this picture. This is a coach Michael and I both had at Woodruff (me as a teacher and Michael as a coach) - Coach Dempsey. He recently went to Dorman to coach (I think about 3 years ago). Sometime since he came, he made a deal with the football team that he would not cut his hair again until they beat Byrnes. Keep in mind that they had not beat Byrnes in many years and that Byrnes is (was?) a nationally ranked team. He promised them anyway. (I just wonder how his wife felt about this....we saw them out one night and I thought Deanna had herself a new husband! He doesn't look the same!).


So, this is a picture of his hair the night of the game. This is also how happy he is when the game is over. I think I saw his wife doing a little jig after the game. ;)


And this, my friends, is my proud little boy when a Dorman football player ran to the stands and picked him to jump up and give his arm band to. Jake loves it!!! He spent a hour on the field after the game searching for this player (we think it was #10 but we're not very sure!).










Here is Jake gently leading Ella Kate to shake the football player's hand. I cannot believe she did it! I was terrified of football players when I was young. Even as a teenager I thought they were scary!

Jake made it his personal goal to shake every single player's hand. He is not shy in the least! He would walk right up to them and stick that hand out and wait until they shook it. They're so sweet in obliging him. I guess they know they have a little kid that wants to be just like them when he grows up!


3 comments:

Stacy said...

That was a great game!!

Jennifer said...

Looks like y'all had a great time... I hate that we missed it. I had a couple of teens texting me all night and telling me the score I had to quite getting happy cause I was with a big Byrnes fan and she was not liking it at all.. Which really with me I just pull for them cause my kids go and will go there but I was a big Hillcrest Ram girl that was scared to go to those Woodruff games..lol... It tickles me that Jake is soooooo into football... That was nice of all the Dorman players to shake his hand... What a great group of guys!!!!

Sophie Morand said...

Lucky Jake for the arm band. We went to the game too. It was a very good one, very exciting!