Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day



Finally!! I feel like school has been "starting" for weeks now with all the preparing and meeting teachers and the big kids already being back.


It was rainy outside this morning so we had to make our pictures inside this year!


We had to get Jake a new bag yesterday since the first one we bought was too small. We'll get his name on his soon!!
Jake started 4K today in Ms. Leigh's class. (Jake has a July birthday so we have made the decision to start him a year later in Kindergarten after MUCH prayer and talking with friends who have made the same decision. I think it will be very beneficial for him in the long run!)


Jake and Ms. Leigh



Ms. Leigh is actually a friend of mine from high school and her husband is a friend of Michael's. We feel very fortunate to have Ms. Leigh this year...we've heard great things about her! I know Jake will grow to love her just as he did Ms. Sophie last year.

I think it was hard for him this morning to go into school and into the classroom right BESIDE Ms. Sophie, but not WITH Ms. Sophie. He sure does love her! She was his very first teacher, so I'm sure she'll always have a spot in his heart just like my first teacher does....Ms. Turpin. Still remember her sweet little voice! :)

So, anyway, Jake said his day was good. When I picked him up, I asked him all the typical questions and noticed he never said Ms. Leigh's name. I asked him what his teacher's name was and he thought a few minutes before answering "Ms. Lindsey". Poor soul....never will be good with names. Kind of surprised he's got mom, dad and Ella Kate down already. ;)

Ms. Leigh has her hands full this year with at least 4 little boys that are already very familiar with each other and love to goof off. I am confident that she and her assistant, Ms. Denise, can handle them though. I'm all for using a big stick when things get rough though!! :)

This was Jake's craft today...pretty cute, huh?





Ella Kate started in a 3 year old class this year...is that 3K?




Her teacher this year is Ms. Misty. This morning on her way to school, Ms. Misty had a bad car accident. We actually passed it on our way to school but weren't sure it was her until we arrived at school and heard the news. Someone had rear-ended her and, I believe, totaled her car. She was taken to the hospital but has no broken bones, thank goodness!!! I'm sure she's very sore and still shaken.

We really missed Ms. Misty today and we hope she feels better very soon!!! We'll get a picture with her when she's back.

She's back....

I hope Ella Kate does okay in her new class. She wasn't thrilled about going in this morning, but was perfectly fine once I left. Stacey says her crying is all for my benefit. :) Too bad it doesn't get her out of staying!! I think she thought she would be in Ms. Summer's class again, her teacher from last year who she LOVED. It didn't sink in that this was a new year until I left her somewhere different!

She knows a couple of the kids in her class....Addie is a friend from church who I think Ella Kate will love playing with this year. Jackson is a precious little boy from her class last year so I think that will be great for both of them to have a familiar face.

Now if we can master pooping in the potty so we don't get kicked out of our big girl class!!! (no diapers allowed in 3K classes!) I just put her panties on her this morning and told her she had to hold it until Mommy picked her up. Sure enough, as soon as we got home, she asked for a diaper and went and did her business. Will this ever end???

I'm going to try Ms. Leigh's trick soon and cut a hole in the diaper to catch her off guard and let it "accidentally" go in the potty. Pretty sneaky there...

And as if first day of school wasn't enough, mommy had her first day at a new job! No one is totally sure how long the job will last, but we'll hope for the best!! I'm going to be working in our Children's Ministry at church. This means that I'll be in the same building with the kids working the same hours that they go to school. How super fabulous is that?!? And I just LOVE all the people I'm working with. I really couldn't have asked for a better opportunity than the one I've been given. I truly believe God placed it in my lap, if for no other reason than to give me a nice break from cleaning houses. Believe it or not, cleaning houses is kind of a dirty job that makes your knees hurt on most days. ;)

Sweet Ms. Joy shared some Chick-Fil-A with me this morning and made my day!! (She's in the ELC office.) At our church, we have the Early Learning Center which is the school and then we have our church Children's ministry office. Although it's two separate "jobs", they're in the same building so I get to see all kinds of great people during the day!

I think it will be so much fun to work at a place I love!!

7 comments:

Shane and Erin said...

Aww, Rhonda! They look SO cute! And it sounds like they both had great first days! I am a little worried about Morgan tomorrow! We met Mrs. Katherine, but I think Morgan STILL thinks she will be going to Summer's class!

Scott and Sharon Ankerich said...

So glad to catch up on your news. The kids are adorable all ready for school. I am so glad they had a great day. And hope you first day @ work went well too- what a perfect place to be while they are at school. Have you all been having storms? We have been under a tornado warning most all day. Lots of rain and we are so thankful for it!!!

Leigh Theo said...

Oh my...I'm literally laughing out loud sitting at my computer. I guess I should've made sure to go over my name a couple of times today! I didn't even think to do that. That is so funny. You learn something new everyday, I guess. I will make sure to do that tomorrow!

And, you have to tell me how you get the captions centered under your pictures...mine always end up off to the left! Give me your secret PLEASE!

See you tomorrow!

Summer Martin said...

I am so glad that they both had a great first day of school. I missed all of my kids from last year today, and it made me sad to know that they were all downstairs with the big kids. I am glad that you got a lot of work done today!!

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Summer Laney said...

Glad you all had a good 1st day!!

Sophie Morand said...

Congratulations on your new job! I understand now why I see you every day at school, I was wondering... I miss Jake, he is such a sweet little boy. He is so funny, each time I see him, he says "Hi, Mrs Sophie!" even if it is the 3rd time that I see him!! Ms. Leigh is the best, he will have a wonderful year.