Friday, May 30, 2008

Toyota Prius

My newest obsession is the Toyota Prius. I've been noticing very recently just how many of these cars there are on the road!! They are everywhere!!
So, I decided to swing by the Toyota dealership to see exactly how good the gas mileage is on these cars and what they would cost a person.
Hmmm....I drove around the lot twice before I stopped to ask a salesperson...aren't the Prius cars made by Toyota?
Well, yes, but they are on backorder until AUGUST! Wow!!
That's how popular they are all of a sudden.
They start around $22 basic and can go up to $29 fully loaded. Best part, they get almost 50 mpg!! Yes, you heard me...50 mpg!

I am so intrigued by these cars. The only drawback for me personally is the lack of trunk space. I still carry a double (sit and stand) stroller and it's questionable if that would even fit in the small trunk. If it did, I'd have to pile groceries on top of my kids! :) I bet that would go well!

The thought of owning a car that is relatively inexpensive (for the price of new cars these days) and saves that much on gas....that is just mind-boggling to me.

Now if I could only talk Michael into driving one. :) Anyone imagining that? LOL

His poor truck gets about 12 mpg. I don't think it gets much worse than that. We debate daily on what we should do about it. Do we buy an old, cheap civic (or such) for him to drive around (unless he's hauling a boat or other items) in addition to keeping his current one? Or do we buy a smaller, less gas guzzling truck (but not as good as the civic) to replace the one he has?

The math is complicated and confusing....I've figured all possible scenarios and I'm just not sure what the best way is. Any opinions? Anyone in the same situation?

3 comments:

Summer Laney said...

I think you will have to do some pretty fancy talking to get Micheal in a smaller truck let only a small car!

You know you can't give up your van...where would all the kids fit when they want to all ride together?

Natalie Kellett said...

I know how you feel. My SUV eats up the gas and then Drew's truck is even worse. If only he could go without truck!!!

Elizabeth said...

My boss drives a Prius. She gets over 50 mpg. Jason ended up with a Prius as a rental car on a trip not too long ago. He was a little weirded out by it and really didn't want to drive it. He fell in love with it. The man loves his Jeep, but he'd buy a Prius (as an additional car) in a heartbeat.