Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hollywild Zoo

Ella Kate's class at school took a field trip to the Hollywild Zoo in April. Wouldn't you know that the day of our trip was freezing cold!! It was 20 degrees below normal temperatures for this time of year and 30 degrees colder than it was the week and days before. We survived despite the cold and the kids had a great time.

I have to stop here and say that I honestly feel very blessed to be able to have these experiences with my kids. Not all mothers are fortunate enough to be stay at home moms and accompany their kids on field trips. The kids either go without their moms or don't go at all. I am so glad to be able to do these things!! We'll both have great memories to look back on.

I'm also glad that this year I got to go to the zoo with a couple of my best friends, one of whom is Ella Kate's teacher (Summer M), and the other who also has a little girl in the two year old classes (Summer L). I think the kids and the moms enjoyed spending some one on one time with the kids.

We started off walking around looking at animals and were then taken on a bus ride (with the sides cut out)to feed the animals out the sides. It was fun to see the animals eating out of the kids' hands. We ended up with a "animal show" where Ella Kate totally surprised me by touching the SNAKE! I guess she's not really that squeamish since her and Jake routinely play with snakes (really earthworms) at home in the yard. They love to find them and carry them around. I'm sure the earthworms at our house love to see them coming!

I have to add that, sadly, Jake missed his zoo trip this year with his class. We got all ready and when we went to start the car....dead battery! Michael was not able to leave work, so, with much help from our kind neighbor, we charged the battery with his boat battery charger. Unfortunately, it was WAY too late to make the trip. We heard through the grapevine that it was extremely crowded that day in particular and very hot. That makes it a little better, but I still felt awful! Mimi felt really bad and even offered to leave work and take him there, but I declined and said that we would take him later to the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia. We'll have to make good on that promise soon!

1 comment:

Summer Martin said...

I am going to miss going on field trips with you and Summer next year. When yall move down stairs don't forget about me still upstairs. :)