Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Busy Busy Busy

Lately I have been feeling a little overwhelmed with all the 600 projects I have started and the ZERO I have finished!! I have a list a mile long of things I am either in the middle of or would really like to start. I decided today I'd go ahead and tackle one that would be pretty quick and I'd definitely see the results...painting Jake's bedroom. I had been planning on doing it soon so that his room would all match...I was hurried up when he and a buddy took it upon themselves to remove half the border. He's gone a while with a lot of random things in there, poor kid.

I let him help choose the color...and I think it turned out well. I'll wait to post a picture when I get a few other things I want for it. Hopefully, that will happen this week!!

Just a little FYI/Things I Have Learned While Painting:

Most of you probably don't know that I am a little obsessed with painting rooms in my house. I simply CANNOT believe that the walls have stayed the colors that they have for this long now. It's a miracle. And the thing is, I love to do it myself. Painting is kind of therapeutic for me. It makes such a difference! That said, I am tired of every room and intend to paint every one this summer (that means this month!).

On to what I've learned...

1. It does make a difference what kind of brush you use for the trim. I have tried everything from the cheapest to the most expensive, and, you got it, the most expensive works best. It definitely has to have an angle and the bristles need to be soft. It makes it really easy to get a straight line around your trim. I'm a bit of a painting perfectionist and crooked lines don't cut it!

2. If you must have a border or wall paper anywhere in your house....the less glue you use the better for the person who will eventually remove it! If you are taking one off, peel off the top layer first. Don't worry about leaving the bottom layer. Then soak it with water using a spray bottle. Get a handy, dandy scraper from the store and it will come right off. Magic!

3. There is such a thing as paint that only requires one coat. I did not believe it when Mr. Lowes told me. I told him that if I bought this paint (which cost about $8 more per gallon than the other kind) that I WOULD be back tomorrow for a refund if I had to put on 2 coats. He just looked at me like I was crazy. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. One coat. That's it. Beautiful. It's Valspar at Lowe's and it is simply amazing. It's soooo worth it to me to pay a little more and only do 1/2 the work.

4. Don't allow a 3 year old or a 4 year old to even LOOK into the room while you are painting. They WILL fall in. Then they WILL touch the wall. Then they WILL wipe it on their clothes. They WILL turn around and bump their heiney on the wall. Then they WILL run screaming when I threaten them with their lives if I even see their face peep around the corner. :) Really it wasn't that bad after they figured out that they weren't coming in.

I am done for they day. Pooped. I'll post Memorial Day tomorrow. :)

4 comments:

Summer Laney said...

Can't wait to see the finished project!!

So does this mean when we eventually build our house you will help paint? You know... since it is theraputic and all :)

Rhonda said...

Of course it does!! :) I need lots of therapy!

Summer Martin said...

I can't believe you painted that room yourself in one day. That would have been a week long project for me.

Rhonda said...

Seriously...that paint is awesome!!!